This corn chowder was delicious. I don’t have an Instant Pot so I made it in a pot instead.
If you make it without an Instant Pot modify it as follows:
- Sauté the bacon, pull it out, sauté the veggies; put all ingredients except the cream/flour back into the pot and simmer on low.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes. Then add flour and half and half and bring to a boil until thickened.
Healthy Corn Chowder: Instant Pot
by Sally Baer
I LOVE a good, hearty soup in the winter months. It warms the soul and heart. Many classic “cream” soups tend to be heavy, but this chowder is fairly light without missing the comfort and heartiness factor that you sometimes need on a cold, rainy night. I tweaked this recipe from Damn Delicious to make a lighter soup that’s a bit healthier than traditional chowders. I hope you enjoy! Xoxo
4 slices bacon, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 ribs of celery, diced
1 jalapeño, diced
4 small red potatoes, chopped
1 (16-ounce) package frozen corn kernels
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3/4 cup half and half
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
First, Set 6-qt Instant Pot to the high saute setting. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in bacon, potatoes, corn, vegetable stock, thyme and cayenne pepper; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high, and set time for 10 minutes. When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together heavy cream and flour; set aside.
- Select high sauté setting. Bring to a boil; stir in heavy cream mixture and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, about 4-5 minutes. If the mixture is too thick, add more vegetable stock as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately, garnished with chives, if desired.
*FIT4MOM is the nation’s leading prenatal and postnatal fitness program, providing fitness classes and a network of moms to support every stage of motherhood. From pregnancy, through postpartum and beyond, our fitness and wellness programs help make moms strong in body, mind, and spirit.